Design Manager – Civil Engineering
- Salary: £70K - 80K
- Location: North London / Hertfordshire / Essex, Essex
- Start date:
- Job Sector: Civil Engineering, Design Manager
- Job Type: Permanent
- Job Ref: J3810
Design Manager – Civil Engineering
£70,000 to £90,000 per annum plus package
Our client is a well respected Civil Engineering contractor based in North London. The company has a significant presence within the Infrastructure, RC Frame and Groundworks market. They work predominantly within London taking on projects from £5M to £20M. Due to significant tender wins and a planned growth phase, the company is looking to bolster its senior design team.
The ideal candidate will:
• Experience with a main civil engineering or groundworks contractor is highly advantageous
• Experience of RC Frame buildings, Rail and infrastructure is highly desired
• Minimum 5 years working in a Design related role
• Or at least 3 year’s experience as a Design manager on UK civil engineering projects
• Possess a qualification in Civil Engineering or a related industry/field
• Has previous experience within the preconstruction and tender phase of design with the ability to work within a team delivering high quality and competitive tenders for major civils projects.
• Able to clearly identify extent of sub-contractors design scope on a package by package basis and work with the procurement team to ensure the correct elements of completing the design are bought within each package.
• Assess the competency/capability of the sub-contractors design facility and feed into the sub-contractor selection process.
• Review and understand the construction programme and then develop / review subcontractor design delivery programmes to ensure design information is presented in a timely fashion to suit fabrication / works on site.
• Chair design progress meetings as appropriate to track and manage the quality and delivery of subcontractor design information.
• Interface with the appropriate CAD and data management platforms as appropriate.
• Receive incoming design information from the main designer and review for completeness. Subsequently distribute to appropriate sub-contractors for review and inclusion within their design process.
• Liaise with the design team in various appropriate forums to ensure the incoming base design information suits the project budget and intended construction methodology.
• Ensure incoming sub-contractor design information is delivered in a timely fashion and is of the required quality.
• Critically review the sub-contractor designs to ensure it meets the performance criteria set by the base information, completes the design as set out within the sub-contractors design package and suits the intended construction methodology.
• A keen eye for designing to budget and meeting the quality demands of this project is essential.
• Ensure interfacing designs delivered as part of separate packages are well coordinated and cover the full scope of contractor design works.
• Manage the subcontractor materials acceptance process for all appropriate packages.
• Distribute sub-contractor designs to the main designer for final review and acceptance, ensuring the review is completed within required timescales and through the most efficient means.
• Assist the delivery team in striving to achieve the highest quality of product possible by reviewing the completion of subcontractor works with a critical, independent eye.
Please note you must have worked in a Design Role for a Main or Subcontractor on a Civil Engineering project in the UK due to requirements of the company.
Please contact Ian Farr on 01473 217 399 / 07517 705 475 for more information on this role.